I see you've found my about page, it was previously very disappointing, it is now slightly less so. It's not nearly as cool as my 404 page or 500 page.
- Let's see what this year has in store
- I honestly do a lot with Chenmark. Since these are short I'd say my proudest solution thus far has been the creation of an affordable, highly scalable, remote management solution that has been deployed to all of Chemark's OpCos which allows our small technical team to efficiently manage about 400 systems spread across more than a half dozen different businesses.
- I cofounded a small business in 2018 after Techknow went out of business. We provided support for existing Techknow solutions & I designed a system to replace Techknow's abandoned DriveThru timer and Outside Customer Display systems. The business was marginally proftiable during its operation, but we ultimately shutdown and moved on to greener pastures. I'm very proud of everything we tried to accomplished and the team we created in the process.
- Sole systems administrator for a 24/7/365 broadcast infrastructure that spanned nearly 60 servers and 100 workstations. Most infrastructure was Windows Server 2008, 2012, and 2019 based with the occasional Unix dish controller in the mix. Core systems included Cisco, ENPS, Miranda, BitCentral, and 60Ghz PtP tower networking.
- I helped maintain and test the development of Techknow's drive thru solutions. Primarily I worked on their Outside Customer Displays, and DriveThrue Timer solutions. These were primarily Debian 4 & Debian 8 embedded systems which integrated with headset systems, POS hardware, and magnetic loop/magnometer detection systems.
- I lead the weekend QSR support team as an L2 escalation point and support manager. During my tenure I was the only NCR Aloha certified POS technician and handled all NCR Aloha related support during this period.
- I handled support for POS systems for both franchise and corporate QSR customers included Burger King & Krystals.
Systems Administrator & Innovator | 02-2022 - Current
Associate System Administrator & Innovator | 05-2020 - 02-2022
Sysadmin & Developer | 07-2018 - 01-2021
Systems Administrator | 08-2018 - 05-2020
Linux System Analyst | 09-2017 - 07-2018
QSR L2 Team Lead | 07-2016 - 9-2017
QSR L1 Support | 08-2015 - 07-2016
Outside of the long list of titles and years above I'll happily add that I approach everything with an automate first mindset. I assume if I have a task to perform then I or someone else will need to perform it later down the road. I heavily leverage devops tools such as Ansible, Terraform, and SaltStack as well as the creation of bespoke scripts in fennel, shell, or lua, DSLs in lisp, or multiple platform binaries through Golang. When it comes to infrastructure I lean heavily on docker to ease maintenance and deployment, bu can competently leverage LXD, Qemu, or physical systems to accomplish any task I'm set to. I'm particularly fond of the sound of server rooms.
All the software I write for myself I write for the community, as such I release all of the work I own under the GPLv3 license. This does not include any work done for any of my employers.
I do this because I believe that access to technology should be free and easy. I would not have the career I have today if I could not proudly stand on the shoulders of giants. This is my way of returning that favor as best I can. I cannot today count myself amongst people like Linus Torvalds, Douglas Katzman, or Russ Cox, but I hope some day that I may. And if I never attain that lofty dream I will know that I strove to support the free and open source community as best as I could throughout my career.
To date my largest contribution has been assisting with the packaging and maintenance of packages for the Alpine Linux distribution. The list of packages I maintain is extensive and grows as I discover new tools, but to date I'm most proud of maintaining SBCL, Fennel, and Clojure as well as assisting with the maintenance of Salt, Openssh, and well over a dozen other packages in the community and main repos. While I proudly laud myself here I could not make these contributions without the support of the core Alpine Linux team who has advised, assisted, and helped maintain these packages tirelessly when life has gotten too busy to handle them in a timely manner.
If you enjoy my blog, you may also be interested in this modest list of podcasts and talks I've given.
- Cyber Career Talks: 103 | Will Sinatra - DevOps Engineer
- toAPK -a fennel | An Overview of toAPK for FennelConf 2020
- tktstlk | A quick demo of tkts for FennelConf 2021
I occassionally contribute to zines, and try to keep local offline readable copies on this server. If you enjoy the content I highly encourage you to check out past and future issues, especially any & all of the wonderful submissions in which I don't appear.
If you'd like to interview me, have me present somewhere, or just want to say hello, feel free to reach out. I'd be delighted to speak with you, I'm easiest to reach via IRC on the OFTC and Libera networks as Durrendal, or via email at email@example.com